Wednesday, May 25, 2011

so begins summer

Tonight was a perfect introduction to summer. Kathryn and I packed up a picnic (pretty gourmet -- thanks to Mom's amazing cooking!) and met up with our dear friends, Kim, Anna, and Eva, in the little, artsy college town of Oberlin. Thinking of Oberlin usually brings to mind memories with the Williams girls... dinners at the Chinese restaurant, walking barefoot through the square and gardens, making jewelry in the gazebo...Always wonderful times of catching up that are refreshing and encouraging to my heart. I felt instantly the bonding of kindred spirits that I had been missing when they freaked out just as much as I did during our discussion of the mermaids in the new Pirates film :) and yes, they have already agreed to put several new wraps in my hair.


As we were saying goodbye to them, a huge storm started rolling in, and a tornado warning was issued. Kathryn and I were determined however to find this coffee shop the girls told us about, and just as it began to rain we happened upon it: The Slow Train Cafe. It is so cool! Just the name sounds like a place I'd like to chill at and read. Definitely encompasses the unique, artsy, relaxed aura of a good coffee shop.

Slow Train Cafe

I love discovering new hole in the wall places like this. As we waited for the rain to pass we got ourselves some coffee... and had a deep heart to heart about how perhaps it is time for me to let go of my aspirations of becoming a mermaid when I grow up... not the best moneymaker I suppose... ;)  hm, too bad.

But really, these moments are ones I treasure so. I love that girl. After discussing the topic of possible life careers and alter ego accents, we decided to run through the pouring rain to our car.  When we got home we went for a run through the neighborhood in the rain as well. It was a fun adventure :)

Some thoughts about the summer ~
I hope to visit friends from school, go up to the island and lake as much as possible, garden frequently, spend time in Columbus with the sibs and nephews, explore, and have a pile of books that I can say I finished reading. This fall is going to be different, and full of new challenges and adventures...I am excited for this break, and am praying it's a time of intense spiritual growth and preparation for my new responsibilities in the fall. It's gonna be good! :)

Today was a good day. I'm so thankful for these friends, and that we will be able to spend more time together over the next couple months. So begins summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment