Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Surf's Up

Ha, actually the surf wasn't necessarily up...if by saying that phrase it means the conditions are good. The waves were not the best, but regardless Kathryn and I ventured into the ocean during our Florida vacation to check a life goal off our bucket lists!

I no longer am as much of a surfer poser, haha... but I need to go more for it to really count (I must! i think it's addicting :) I absolutely loved it.  I only got up a couple times, but still, we had a ton of fun, and I think with chill sports that's all that matters.  Aunt Renee has a friend with two boys who have been surfing for a while, and so she asked them if they would teach us how (we later found out they were told they had to teach us...heh heh). Anyways, they were 14 and 16, but they seemed to know what they were doing -- and Kathryn and I felt much more at ease learning from some young'uns rather than guys our own age, haha ;)
us and our "surfer buddies"...the one tried to tell me people often ask him if he's Taylor Lautner...I ignored him and just tried to catch another wave ;) 
Before surfing we also all went snorkeling! In the shallower water we didn't see much, but as soon as we pushed further out we spotted a 2-3 ft sting ray! It was so cool! I didn't know what to do when I saw I was hovering right over it...Scared, yes, but not enough move away from it. Haha, good thing it swam the other direction!  Gosh I LOVE water exploration. :) I've added getting my scuba diving certification to my bucket list. I've never spent so much time in the ocean, and it was awesome! When opportunity for a cool exploration or adventure comes up, I must admit I often don't feel like taking it. When those boys came to take us surfing I felt like sunbathing and reading my book. The ocean is one of the things I love the most, but am also the most afraid of.  The conditions weren't that good, and I figured since it wasn't meeting my expectations of a perfect setting it wouldn't be fun. How lame! In getting up and conquering that momental lethargy I discovered something I would love to pursue! In life you often have to push yourself and do what you are most afraid of in order to learn and make the most of an adventure. 

Why do I live in the midwest? haha, I've definitely got to do this more. Surfing on the Great Lakes? It's possible :)

Kathryn's in there somewhere :)


3 comments:

  1. Haha! Mary that sounds awesome! And Taylor Lautner? Uh, do people also ask him if he has a continual problem with skin cancer? That boy looks like he needs sun screen. Love the picture with a surfer-less surf board!
    So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany! have you done any surfing whilst living in California????

    ReplyDelete